Sorts of hosting solutions
A hosting solution means storing and/or sharing specific web content on a hosting server managed by a web hosting company. There are various sorts of hosting services used for various aims, so let's take a glance at these. In this way, you can decide what you need, on the basis of whether you wish to have a web page, e-mail box accounts, or to share files with comrades and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution provided by certain providers, which lets you share enormous files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its single designation is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a record of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php website files in your browser. Free file storage accounts are frequently supported by exhibiting advertisements next to the download links, while a timer makes you await a certain stretch of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you buy a paid file hosting plan, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limitation with regard to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely incorrect explanation of the actual denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would allot the tasks at hand between individual hosts of hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending various hosting services (mail, disk space, stats, DNS, databases, hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is just a brand of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; specific providers provide a hosting service for images solely. This hosting brand is appropriate if you would like to share a big number of pictures with mates or acquaintances since the solution is typically free of charge. You will obtain a randomly generated link for every pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be utilized for websites.
- Email hosting: a service dedicated to taking care of your e-mails. Some distributors provide website hosting services for web sites, but do not supply an email hosting service. If you want to manage an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to possess a site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you want. You can open e-mail address accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a given video, or you can embed the video file in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of utilizing this approach instead of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video file creates a certain amount of CPU load, so with a handful of video files and a few hundred web page visitors, you may have trouble with your web hosting supplies. Embedding the video will enable you to utilize as many video clips as you want to without bothering about system resources.
- Web page hosting: this is the solution that you require if you desire to possess a web site. To some degree, it encompasses all of the aforementioned hosting variants since, along with your websites, you can also host images and files, you can set up databases and email accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At LocatedWeb, for example, you can have a look at web hosting and dedicated hosting accounts that allow you to get all of the aforementioned services in one single location. There may be restrictions based on the sort of hosting service that you've selected - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your website hosting package may be better or worse compared to the common email/file/video/image hosting packages that are devised for particular web content exclusively.